1~ “ON THE EDGE”- HOW IS THIS PUN USED EFFECTIVELY TO SUMMARIZE THE EVENTS IN THIS CHAPTER??
Chapter 4 of ‘Touching The Void’ involve lots of life threatening events. The pun- on the edge, is used to summarize the events in this chapter by having two meanings to it, the first meaning being literally on the edge of a cliff or ledge, which relates to the text a lot. The second meaning behind this pun is being on the verge of something, e.g on the verge of giving up.
Choose ONE of the following language or writing style techniques and explain how it is used to create tension (mental, emotional or physical strain) in the text. I.e. How does the technique show that the men will/are facing problems??
- Foreshadowing: a warning or indication of a future event
- Imagery: visually descriptive or figurative (simile, metaphor, personification) language
- Use of dialogue/direct speech: the recording of characters’ actual speech
- Emotive words: words used to evoke an emotional response from the reader
- Symbolism: an object or word represents an idea